Every Wednesday we have our Explorers group for home educated children. We alternate venue each week between Kirkton Park in Bathgate and Almond Park in Livingston. We explore the local environment and use it to help us learn.
Each month we have a new focus, it might be space, homes, ancient past or many more. The activities on offer will vary each session, there may be den building, scientific experiments, stories, arts and crafts, STEM activities but there will always be a chance to explore nature and the local the woodland.
The entire session is outside, regardless of weather conditions. We live in Scotland so can easily see all 4 seasons within the 2 hours. It is essential that children come to the sessions dressed appropriately for the weather conditions.
- warm clothing top and bottom, in layers so that if it is warm they can shed a layer and still be comfortable
- hat and gloves, sun hat if appropriate
- a waterproof outer layer, top and bottom – so waterproof coat and trousers are advisable
- waterproof shoes in case it is muddy. We recommend walking boots or wellies, but you can send them in trainers as long as they are sturdy
- no shorts or skirts please, however hot it is. We have brambles and nettles in places at most sites – ouch!
Groups are limited to a maximum of 8 children.It is essential that you book your place in advance.